Monday, June 06, 2005

Valediction



Friday evening saw a meloncholic moment when Gautam left India. It was not really melancholic for me or for anybody of us who went there to bid him good bye but if it was then for his parents and siblings. I felt uneasy because I was witnessing the whole event. Whether I wanted to be or not, knowingly or unknowingly, I was sucked in the moment.

Test Drive - Maruti 800

It all started with me reaching at Sarvesh's place. We started late, around 9 pm to the airport. We were sure to miss Gautum as we had missed Charu the other day because of our 'COOL' attitude. The situation was adverse as we not only had to face the pathetic traffic of Saki Naka but also had to pick Shalaka from Vikhroli. Somehow we managed to pick Shalaka and later Amol from office. In the meanwhile Shalaka invited her friend Abhishek Thakkar from IITB. We were already packed in Maruti-800 and to accomodate one more seemed to be a tough task. The task became herculean once I saw Mr. Abhishek, a young man of 6 feet height and some odd 100+ kgs of weight. Since he could not be fitted in rear seat, I had to leave my front seat and moved back. Imagine Maruti-800 bearing load of 5 people. I would say 8 because most of us are blessed with good health. The car was undoubtly a winner as it not only left us at the airport right in time but also suffered us. Luckily the shockers were still intact and working fine.

The Photography Session

Mr. Thakkar was carrying his Canon so once we had introduced each other we could not over look the camera. Mr. Thakkar started displaying his photography skills. He took some nice shots. He put us in his frame with Gautam and Gautam's family. He also shoot a zoomed picture with his camera when Gautum was hard to see by naked eyes. I realized his dexterity when I saw his web site today. www.abhishekthakkar.com
Really good collection of images. He also took a photograph of the taxi stand at the airport and an Air India plane while we were leaving the place.

The Parting

Gautam started guiding his trolley with two suitcases and his thesis reports placed on it. I remember thesis reports because I know the hardwork that goes inside them. Everybody became silent as Gautam walked away not knowing what to do. All of us must be thinking drastically different for sure in our cerebrums.

His parents must be having benevolent thoughts for him in their minds while wearing benign smile on their aged faces. They would also be thinking of the void and the changes in life that had been created by his absence.

I felt sad because I could realte myself to the whole dismal episode. Because I could see the expression of gloom and lonesomeness on his parents faces. Parents would never like their child to leave them when they need him the most; but life is harsh and bitter. Perhaps I also wanted to leave and was apprehensive to go through the same ordeal which Gautam had been going through.

Lastly for Gautam, it must be really hard to leave India. At one end he would be feeling the warmth of the sunny days that he would see and on the other hand the coldness of leaving his parents alone. He must have meticulously worked out the delicate balence between his career and family before leaving. Being sensible and empathetic I think he will work his way out of this.

Finally.............. we could not see him any longer behind the glass wall. We waved till the time we got his last sight, even when he was not seeing us. Perhaps that is a kind of ritual that people perform to express their love to their parting friends.

And we left the place after exchanging tacit glances with his parents because nobody was sure whether it was a joyous moment or a melancholic one.

Should mention that we took a hault at Maharaja before we could make back to our places. :) I found that sometimes food also allays your pain.

No comments: