Sunday, November 05, 2006

US Trip - Part II (Picking a girl in US)

Praveen Shukla had asked for my help in shifting his stuff when he decided to move from Pond Street house to Windsor apartment. How could I have denied a friend request? The whole experience happened to be so good that I started believing in God from that day. My uncle said once, “If you help others, god helps you.” I never believed it until that fateful day.

We were busy bringing the stuff from Shukla’s house to the ground floor – on the road near the truck – when I spotted a black hair girl sitting next door and smoking cigarettes. She was sitting on a folding chair with her legs resting on the wooden fence and was smoking cigarettes carelessly, casually, and ceaselessly one after the other. She was least bothered by our presence and was lost in her own world of smoke and her cell phone. One hand holding the cigarette with grace while the other working meticulously with the keys on her cell.

She was looking pretty in her curly black hair which was falling down from her shoulders and was touching her waist again and again with every gentle stroke of the evening breeze. Her Mexican-white skin looked flawless in the dusky sun and was glowing with the warmth of her youth. Her body was in shape and near to perfection. She was comfortably dressed in her white t-shirt and tight fitted blue jeans.

I did not like the injustice of god. How could such a beautiful girl sitting all lonely on such a wonderful summer evening in Boston. I decided to approach but I wanted some reason and I did not take time to find one. Cigarettes – Yes!!! The common thread between us. I went inside and picked a can of Heineken beer from the refrigerator and started walking towards her. “Hi, Can I have a cigarette please?” were my first words to her. She obliged me by offering me one. I put it in my mouth and asked for the lighter. I did not go away after lighting it but I kept standing there with her. After two-three puffs and a sip from the can I asked her whether she lived there. She negated and said that it was her aunt’s house. The discourse had started and I kept throwing questions and intelligent answers. She did not take time to realize that I am indeed an educated man. We exchanged our cell numbers and she had taken a promise from me to help her in purchasing a laptop which I happily agreed to.

Shukla was looking at me with a look of contempt and hatred. I had to say her good bye otherwise Shukla would have killed me. Instead of helping him out I was doing flirting – how would he accept it? With a very sad heart I bid her good bye and again went into labor shoes from Romeo’s shoes.

After two three days, I sent her an SMS and I did not get any reply. I waited for three days but of no use. Finally I called her up and left a voice message but again received no reply. I realized that my love story, like all the other love stories met a tragic end. However, the villain in my love story was nobody else but my dear friend Praveen Shukla. Only if he had not given me his censured glance while I was talking to her, only if he had given me few more minutes and not asked me to start work again, life would have been so different. I would have got some more golden moments to spare with my new found angel. I would have made all the promises of love and life, I would have discussed all my luck and destiny, I would have exchanged all the vibes and emotions, I would have felt her silky hair and kissed her cheeks but only if, only if.

Of course, how would you expect a girl to reply back when you spoilt her evening by leaving her all alone with the frightening darkness after the dusk? Certainly, that is not chivalry.

No comments: